This was not meant to happen – I have seven Inklingo projects in the works and should not be starting another one.
It’s not my fault really – blame Cathi of Quilt Obsession. When she posted pictures of her Inklingo Drunkard’s Path made using charm squares I suddenly remembered that I had a box of Kaffe charms that had been languishing in a box on the top shelf of my studio for years.
An idea for my own version popped into my head! I briefly entertained the thought of just adding the Drunkard’s Path to my to do list – but the brightly colored squares were calling my name.
Now that I had a plan I had to decide on the fabrics. I spent hours this weekend arranging and re-arranging the Kaffe charms in sets of two – a light and a dark. Fine – but not great. Then I thought that it would look better with a print and a solid – instead of two prints.
I knew I had a box of solid color fabric samples I’d ordered years ago. I’m not crazy about solids – but I thought I’d give it a try. When lo and behold I opened the box and there was a stack of 5″ square hand dyes that I had completely forgotten about. I had written the color number in the corner of each piece – but the Inklingo pattern fit perfectly with plenty of room to spare – the numbers just get cut off.
The quarter circle and the quarter background are printed on one square – so I get two sets. I have 75 fabric sets which will make 150 little blocks – 36 six inch circle blocks with a few pieces left over. I have tons more Kaffe charms and can always cut 5″ squares from my hand dye stash if I want to make the quilt larger.