My first quilt – finished at last!
When I started this project I didn’t have a stash – about the only fabric I had was a fat quarter assortment of batiks and hand dyes from equilter.com.
Referring to Jan Mullen’s book “Cut-Loose Quilts – Stack, Slice Switch and Sew.” I chose the four patch unit and began my first quilt.
I had no rotary cutter, no quilting rulers, and zero experience. I measured everything with my stainless steel type gauge (my favorite ruler from my graphic art days,) marked the squares and the cutting lines with a pencil and cut with scissors.
There was no master plan – I am the sort of person that rarely follows the pattern and I read the instructions only when all else fails.
I chose an assortment of colors for each block and cut out as many as I could until that fabric ran out – then I selected another group and did the same. I ended up with 64 seven-inch blocks. I sewed them together on point – then I had to figure out how to fill in the zig zagy edges with triangles. So I cut up the remaining fabric into squares (which I then cut into triangles) the same size as the block – seemed logical to me at the time. Now I know that there is a formula for calculating the size of the setting triangles – I could have looked it up on the internet – but how was I to know. Live and learn! I didn’t have enough fabric left to do it over so I just took it apart and started over.
I eventually basted it and started quilting in the ditch – around all the squares and between the blocks. I hated the quilting and soon gave up and put it away after finishing about 25 blocks. Recently my friend Diane offered to finish the quilting for me. This weekend I decided it was about time to finish it. I trimmed it and bound it with some batik I bought to make a skirt. And I crossed it off my list of UFO’s to finish!
And here you have it – 8 years later. I am a lot older and wiser – but this quilt will always have a special place in my heart.